Friday, May 10, 2013

Tough Redefined





Tough.  That's the word that comes to mind when I think about the 25 ultra swimmers who swam dam to dam over four days in the S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge of Arizona.  The event gathered some of the most elite swimmers in the world who take it upon themselves to conquer the BIG distances of swimming -- think English Channel, Straight of Gilbralter, Catalina Channel and the likes.

I was part of the volunteer kayak team that accompanied these swimmers and guided them to their destination.  That meant, my guy, Darren Miller, started at 10a.m. and swim nearly 14.5 miles over the next six and a half hours. It was rough for me and I was in a KAYAK!

I'm not sure what possesses a swimmer to want to jump into a cold lake or ocean and swim for that many hours.  But I know they are hard core.  Glad I got to be part of this amazing day. 
You guys define the word TOUGH in my book.  Thanks for showing me that a simple 2.4 mile Ironman swim is just a warm up to people like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True