Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Reality Check

This is D.  D coached me through my first Ironman in Florida.  I trained with her for over two years as she pushed my limits and molded me into something I had never been before -- an athlete.  D wrote my programs, met me at the track for speedwork, watched me cross the line at Ironman Arizona and tracked me at my races.  And along the way, become a true friend.

When I was ready to become a coach myself, D asked me to join her team.  We united with Gail at Gorilla Multisport and I have been coaching and training with these ladies ever since.  Gail is a Kona finisher and D is the most proficient mountain biker I know.   

But just when you think you are a bad ass triathlete, life can present a different mountain to conquer.  In this case: cancer.  D was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and now spends a big chunk of her days in a chair receiving chemo treatments that battle the effects of this horrible disease. 

D is a fighter.  She's tough.  One look at her biceps and anyone can see that.    She won't let cancer stand in her way as she has continued to train AND race.   I'm sure her mountain bike is sitting in her garage right now with a fresh coat of mud on it from a recent ride. 

I've learned a ton from D.  In no particular order she has taught me courage, faith and determination.  She faces a challenge head on and never feels sorry for herself.  And she smiles along the way, just to keep people guessing. 

D you are my hero.  We have lots of work to do.  Lots of athletes to train and inspire.  Lots of races to run.  So keep up the fight.  Keep smiling. And meet me at the track.

Buh buy, cancer!  

3 comments:

  1. She is inspiring. some people fight 10 times the battles I do...I will not complain anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is inspiring. some people fight 10 times the battles I do...I will not complain anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think i've met her but I like her already and wish the best for her...

    ReplyDelete

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True