Saturday, August 26, 2023

Ironman Mont Tremblant

This was Ironman number 12.  I've been around the world, raced in the heat, the cold, the flat the hilly.  But this was new and beautiful territory for me.   

Mont Tremblant is a small ski village located in the province of Quebec, Canada.  From Phoenix, there is an Air Canada direct flight into Montreal, which is where Kristin, Chelsea and I landed a few days before the big race.  Transportation was smooth and convenient -- Customs was a breeze.  And it's always a bonus for travelers when the rental cars are on-site.  No shuttle needed to pick up our car.  So we headed straight to the Alamo service desk to pick up our car when we met Arran.  

Arran was a fellow competitor whose car reservation was "messed up" so he was looking for a ride to the Ironman site -- a two hour drive from the airport.  Kristin and I gladly obliged to have him be our passenger, while Chelsie and family loaded up his bike in their rental truck.  Then we were on our way, after a quick stop for a five-star reviewed pizza joint on Yelp. (Upon closer inspection there was just one five-star review and it was probably written by the owner).  Nevertheless, the pizza was delicious even though the building looked more like a pick-up/delivery location than an actual restaurant.  But Allez allez allez, let's go to French Canada!

Our arrival in town after the most beautiful drive through thick forests of evergreen trees and small ski resorts was wet and rainy.  The only thought on our minds was a prayer for a dry race day.  It had been announced several months prior that this was the final year for the full Ironman here in Mont Tremblant.  But as we drove into the ski village, I couldn't imagine a more perfect location for this event and couldn't fathom why they would be cancelling it after 2023.  The Ironman finish line and transition zones were lit up and glowing as we drove up to our hotel.  And the Marriott Residence Inn was a one minute walk to the expo and all things Ironman.  I have never been to a race with a more perfect setup.   The next day's swim practice area was a three--minute walk from the hotel.  Everything was so convenient, quaint and idyllic. 

Race day came quickly.  No more village walks or trips up the sky tram to visit the ski mountain. We woke to clear skies and started the swim as the sun was breaking through the clouds.  Water conditions were perfect -- not a wave on the lake and temperatures in the high 60s.  My swim at 1:19 was not my best or my worst, but right on target for race day.

The bike course holds long rollers for the first half of the Y shaped course.  But then there is an evil kicker on the backside of the Y which is where you find the majority of the elevation.  Lots of getting out of the saddle to turn the pedals forward.   I saw a few people walking their bikes.  But I was okay --- for the first lap.  Ironman makes you do this course twice.  And it was the second time up Montage de Petit Dupleiss that I struggled.  After lap two I was happy to get off my bike.  Though 7:38 was by far my slowest time on the bike -- I'd take it. 

Off to the run, which was a two-loop course with three hilly miles followed by three flat fast miles under a canopy of majestic pine trees.  Amazingly gorgeous, I loved this run.  Again, I was not fast, my run clocked in at 5:38, but I have never run in anything so spectacular in any of my 11 other Ironmans.  The course meandered through the ski village shops and then turned onto a paved path next to Lake Tremblant with the most encouraging volunteers who cheered continually.  I'll always remember the man dressed as the devil waving and smiling to everyone in hopes to keep our spirits high.

And finally, the finish line!  A little pitch upwards in the last two miles of the run meant a fast downhill finish through the center of town.  It was dark when I finally crossed the line but I was still celebrated and announced as "Lorie Tucker, you are an Ironman" once again.    Though I was not in the mood for the poutine post race meal, it was a nice way to be reminded that we were in Canada.  Kristin was waiting for me the end -- what a nice friend.  She'd been waiting over two hours for me.  

My final time 14:55 was a slow finisher time for me.  But I have to remind myself that I shouldn't compare myself to the finishing times in my younger years -- my best at 11:18.  I have to be happy I'm still competing and that this finish time was enough to qualify me (again) for Kona World Championships in two months.  

So I'm not done Ironman.  I've got some work to do.  It's been a nice week off, but Monday morning will hit and I'll be back to training hard for the next seven weeks.  See you soon, Hawaii!  















No comments:

Post a Comment

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True