Sunday, September 23, 2012

Tashina Said It Best


I took these words straight from Tashina's instagram this morning.  I couldn't have said it better myself! Congratulations to all the finishers, but especially to my own athletes, Dawn Brooks,  Simon Beltran, Jeff Louden and Dallas Louden.  

This morning we started the day off early down at Tempe Town Lake to watch my dad, my brother, sister-in-law, and close friend compete in the Nathan's Olympic Triathlon. These types of events are so inspiring and the people are one of a kind. They come in all shapes and sizes, wear all different styles of clothing, and prefer different brands of shoes....but one thing that they share is the love/drive to compete and finish this race that they set out to do for their very own personal reasons. 

I had the chance to witness bike wrecks, cramped up legs, tired bodies, tears of doubt, family members screaming trying to bring out that last ounce of strength for someone they love struggling through the last hour, and others just simply walking off the course and quitting before they even had a chance to finish.

For those that finished, whether fast or slow... they finished. I saw a dad that appeared out-of-shape grab his little boy's hand as he hobbled the last 100 meters, obviously hurting and drained of any energy, look over at his son and said with tears in his eyes, "Dad made it, I finished." He not only won in his son's eyes but conquered the inner battle that fought back everyday, the one that told him to quit. 

I also saw a women run in with four kids cheering her on who were proud to call her mom and welcomed her victorious smile with open arms.  When others give the excuse of kids as a reason not to stay healthy, she made it her reason. She became an example to her children far greater than she and we could ever dissect. She is strong and proved to them that you can accomplish anything that you set your mind to. 

Experiencing these little lessons in life renewed my commitment to strive harder everyday for the goals that I put in place for myself. It doesn't matter how strong, in shape, out of shape, 10 kids, no kids, 20 years old, or 100 years old....set a goal and don't stop until its done. I, for one am grateful for the father that I have.  When I was young, he never let me quit anything and proves day in and day out that he holds himself to the same standard.  I'm a proud daughter that will forever stand at the finish line cheering him on.



1 comment:

  1. That is awesome. Makes me want to set some goals!

    ReplyDelete

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True