Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Recommit


I read today that the graduating class of 2013 has never known a world without the internet. Or Cartoon Network. Or cookie dough ice cream. They've never had to look something up in a card catalog or wait for the evening news to find out what was going on in the world that day.

Which makes me all the more determined to kick it old school! I KNOW my kids wouldn't understand the reference to go home when the "street lights came on." I'm sure they've never ran in the irrigation at the elementary school. Or burnt a bug with a magnifying glass. Okay, that's gross. But I hope I teach them that life is not so "instant". There are days which seem slow yet minutes that pass by so quickly. I'd like to take those minutes and teach my kids to look at the stars, read the morning paper, and dig their toes into the sand. I want them to know what it feels like to have your chest burning as you cross a finish line, or swim to the wall without taking a breath.

Take advantage of those moments. Or they will fade away.

Tonight, I'm gonna dust off the frisbee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True