Saturday, August 8, 2009

Skinny Genes

Let's face it, I am not the person who should be giving weight loss advice. I was born with this body --

But advice I can give is about goal setting.

As a youngster I delivered the weekly Pennysaver newspaper. One of the first goals I ever made was to take my paper route money to Short Stop and buy a different candy bar each week until I had tried every brand. (I never said these were lofty goals.)

Then in fifth grade, after watching the perfect attendance winners at the Edison school assembly, I decided I could do the same. Again, small and simple was my MO. I achieved perfect attendance in fifth, sixth, and many other grades throughout my high school years and beyond.

Exercise has been a different story. I was not blessed to be a gifted athlete by any stretch of the imagination. When I began running, sometimes the goal was making it to the next light pole or mailbox without stopping. I ran my first 5k with a friend who coaxed me to the finish line with extreme patience and encouragement. (Thank you, Leslie). And my first century ride was completed with the help of a nice husband, fellow riders, and family at the finish line.

I've come to realize, with every goal I make, that doing something difficult, something that sounds unattainable, CAN be done through small, baby-step goals. The body is a remarkable piece of equipment and it will do what you make it do. Your only limitation is your imagination. To get what you've never had, you must do what you've never done.

So enter a race. Join a gym. Do something hard. Set a goal that will get you to a finish line.

And Dream Big.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True