Sunday, December 11, 2011

"I AM a Runner"

Sacha joined Gorilla Multisport just three months ago.  She ran her first 10k this Thanksgiving.  And she will be running her first half marathon in January at the PF Chang's race.  I was so proud when she crossed the finish line at the Turkey Trot.  This is what makes coaching so worthwhile.  
 
This was the first year I have participated in the Turkey Trot. I would have probably considered it in the past as an event I would participate in with friends and family but would most likely have walked most of the way. This time I ran, because I could, which made it much more fun. 

I asked a friend of mine, Kristi, to join me and she did. We had a great time struggling to find a bathroom to use before the race... NOT!  The lines were incredibly long and so as most others were doing, we found a bush and went.  

During the race, the crowds all seemed to stay together so it was pretty hard to pass at times, but we figured it out. I made it in under one hour and four minutes which is so far the fastest I have ran. I could not have imagined running the entire six miles before.  If  you would have asked me a year ago if I could do it... my response would have been "No, I am not a runner."  

But what exactly makes a runner? If you ask me it takes dedication and commitment, for me almost to the point of obsession.  You are a runner if you are willing to, and want to, run rain or shine, hot or cold, tired or not, pain or not -- no excuses .  I have been running since the middle of September without any excuses stopping me. I have taken a vacation and ran.  I have worked over 40 hrs during the week and ran.  I have been sick and ran and I have ran during the busy holidays. 

If I can do it, anyone can!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Sacha! Congrats on such a great race! Keep on running...and good luck at your half-marathon!

    ReplyDelete

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True