Friday, November 12, 2010

Jenn's Story - Halloween Half, No Trick All Treat!

Avery and her Mom, Jenn
I’ve never been an athletic girl, in fact just the opposite. I was very overweight until gastric bypass surgery in 2003, where I lost 175 pounds.  I had one beautiful daughter, Avery before the surgery.  Thanks to the success of gastric bypass, I was able to have two incredible little boys that complete our family.
I was able to maintain my weight loss pretty well but never considered myself fit, strong or athletic. Then this summer when looking online at a Mud Run a friend of mine was doing in Utah, I saw a link for the Provo Halloween Half 13.1 (www.halloweenhalf.com).

One of the first lines in the run description was “The most fun you could have in Provo without being arrested.” This made me laugh so I kept on reading: a downhill run wearing a costume, this might be for me. Something clicked that morning in my head that said I could do this and that I should do this.

I counted Saturdays on the calendar to see that I had 14 weeks until the race, and then printed out a training schedule. I called a couple of friends and got them on board to do it with me and the journey began.

The hot Arizona mornings were tough in the beginning and most mornings I did more walking than running. It took almost 6 weeks until I felt like I could run a good distance without constantly stopping to walk. As the weeks went on I began to enjoy the accomplishment and mental benefits of preparing for 13.1 miles.  It was amazing!

In the last few weeks before the race the fabulous people from Provo Halloween Half started doing Facebook contests and updates about the race. It got us all excited and really helped me become more comfortable about what I was about to do. I was so grateful for so many friends and even strangers I met while preparing who were so encouraging and helpful.
Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon


The morning of the run I was not sure of what I had gotten myself into and actually had to hold back a few tears of fear.  But the adrenalin and excitement from the runners and the spectators pulled me through. As the sun came up over the mountain and we started running down the beautiful canyon with all the fall leaves past Bridal Veil Falls, it was indescribable! I was thrilled to finish 2:57 (my goal was to be under 3:00) with my daughter running the last half mile to the finish with me.
Is that Jenn or Sue Sylvester?
I can’t think of an adequate description of the great joy this was and can’t wait to not only do this race again but many more in between.
You earned this, Jenn!  And very cool medal, I must say.
Congratulations, Jenn!  You did it! You've inspired me and your three kids and husband and countless others with your quest to step out of your comfort zone and work for something hard! Love you!

2 comments:

  1. So inspirational! Love your blog. I'm out of breath just reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this story thanks for posting it

    ReplyDelete

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True