Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Perfection At A Price

On Saturday's leisurely ride, we ended our route at a little happy place called ... Starbucks.  Mmm, the aroma of fresh coffee hit my nose as we swung open the doors to the warm and welcoming haven of casual comfort and joy.   With non working hands and frozen toes, this stop was simply delightful.  

Though I'm not a coffee drinker myself, it's easy to see that this chain is like a candy store for adults.
The one thing that does entice me on the menu is their Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate.  Ahhh, it's good as it sounds.  Just the right combo of salty AND sweet.  Is there anything better? That cardboard protected cup in my cold hands on a chilly winter morning just warms my heart.  Plus after a 40+ mile ride you are deserving of a little indulgence, right?  

Well....

It turns out that the Grande Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate (that's 16 ounces), has a whopping 550 calories per serving.  The breakdown: 24g fat, 78g carbs and 14g protein.  Maybe I'm not that deserving after all.    I would've been ahead of the game if I'd ordered the Classic Sausage, Egg and Aged Cheddar Breakfast Sandwich at 500 calories. 

So in the spirit of Holiday Eat This Not That, maybe go for the Tall Non Fat Signature Hot Chocolate at 330 calories (still 15g of fat), or the Grande Nonfat Peppermint Hot Chocolate at 310, or even the Tall Non Fat Hot Chocolate at 190. 

Or just start drinking coffee.  Your call.   

5 comments:

  1. seriously? good to know, but every once in awhile its ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! You had to tell us...well, at least we know now why we like it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. why do calories have to ruin my fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. or maybe just hot water with lemon. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True