Wednesday, August 18, 2010

For Those About To Run, We Salute You

Those Cross Country high school kids impress me.  Or XC or Cross.   They inspire and motivate and keep me watching.

I don't know about you, but this 40 something wanna-be runner was not setting her alarm clock at 4:45 a.m. in high school to join her fellow teammates for an early morning run.  I was not logging in hundreds of miles over the summer to improve my times for the next season.  I was not taking AP Calc, and studying for ACTs and volunteering and making sure my GPA was in the 4.0s all while running the daily mileage as prescribed by my coach.

No, no, no.  Not me.

But these are the kids on the cross country teams I see today.  They are high achievers who rise before the sun for long canal runs.  They workout in the heat of the day when you'd find it uncomfortable to watch from the bleachers.  They stretch daily.  They listen to their coaches.  They watch what they eat.  They GO TO BED EARLY.  Yes, high schoolers!

Mountain View High School and every high school cross country team around the nation, well done!  You are the future.  And the future looks pretty good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True