Friday, February 4, 2011

Have You Seen It?





I'm talking about Body Worlds, the worldwide exhibit of human bodies preserved in something called plastination, currently on exhibit at the Arizona Science Center.

If you want to be completely amazed at the absolute perfection and miraculous form of the human body, head over there ASAP.  The exhibit contains all forms and parts of human bodies that have been donated  to science specifically for this purpose.  

The Arizona exhibit features over 200 specimans, including full-body plastinates, individual organs both healthy and unhealthy, and cross sections of bones, brains and biceps.  

Some of my favorites include:

The Brain - From newborn size to full-grown, the skulls that protect the brain are opened to reveal blood vessels, brain matter, brain stem.  Wow.

The Full Body Exhibits - I love seeing for myself where my tibia or IT band is, and why it might get pulled so easily while exercising.  I could examine the body in 360 degrees and find the piriformis and the abductor muscles and understand their uses!

The Central Nervous System - Completely amazing.  Seeing how the nerves extend from the brain to the tips of your toes and hands helps make the idea of acupuncture so much easier to understand.  You can see why touching a nerve in your hand affects another part of your body.

The Lung - Right in front of you is a healthy lung, a smoker's lung and a coal miner's lung.  I'll just leave it at that.

If you are an athlete, a parent, a human, I highly recommend taking the time to see this exhibit.  Gunther von Hagen is the Body World's creator and he has been perfecting this plastination process since 1977.  I can't think of a better way to appreciate and understand the human body than to see his project.

And, I may just be able to get you a discounted admission coupon.  Leave a message and I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True