Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Opening My Eyes

As I pulled into the drive thru at BofA today, I caught a glimpse of a man in a motorized wheelchair on the side of the road.  He was leaning forward trying to velcro a strap around his legs in order to lift them onto the footrest so he could move forward.  I quickly put my car in reverse and jumped out to give him a hand.

"Can I help you out?" I asked.

"I wouldn't feel bad if you did," he replied.

So I got him all fixed up and the gentleman was on his way.

As I circled back into the bank line, I was overcome with gratitude.  Sometimes chance encounters like these are the best reminders of the blessings of a healthy body.

The 2010 Olympics have put on an awesome display of athletic prowess and physical finesse.  I am mesmerized by Bode Miller, Apolo Ohno, and Shawn White -- the way they have mastered their sport and achieved perfection.  I love the biathlon, the skicross, the sound of the cowbell and anything narrated by Al Michaels.  I love watching the cross country skiers fall to the ground as they cross the finish line in complete exhaustion.

But it took a man in a wheelchair to make me truly appreciate the gift of health. Running is the only drug I need for my soul.  A long swim in the pool is the best elixir for pain.  I can tie my shoes, reach for an orange in my trees, and open a tight lid on a jar.   I am one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for that reminder, Mister.
Appreciate the view....

1 comment:

  1. Lorie: love the post, its funny how some experiences make us realize what is REALLY important in life. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True