Monday, January 25, 2010

Final Race Report from a Newbie Runner


Ian Stupar
Age: 31
Goal Time:  3:30 for the half
Finish Time:  2:47
What training plan did you follow?  I initially used an iPhone App called 'Couch To 5k'. Then I developed my own workout routine which consisted of running, hiking, biking, and some light weight lifting.
What did you wear on the day of the race? Spandex shorts underneath basketball shorts, a t-shirt and a baseball cap.
Your pre-race breakfast? I didn't have time.
Your nutrition during the race? Water, Cytomax, and GU.
Any advice you'd give to fellow runners in your time category? Train, train, train!
How did you like the whole rock and roll experience? The bands were terrible, but a nice distraction.
Anything else you'd like to share? I'd do it again!
"So, I definitely felt a little unprepared for the PF CHang's Half Marathon. I signed up last minute. I had been training and working out but wasn't sure I could do it. I decided that even if I had to walk a portion of it, that it would still be worth participating in.  My workout routines leading up to the race have been this:  One day at South Mountain for a three mile hike, and a mile and a half trail run back to my car. Just under a five mile run around Tempe Town Lake on another day. A 14-mile bike ride on another day. One day at the gym for some light weight lifting, and sometimes one small run another day around my neighborhood for like, three miles.


My diet unfortunately has been terrible, which I am working on and I know will enhance my performance once I get it under control, so I won't even go there!


Race day I was nervous, but excited. I live in Tempe and so the people I was running with and I took the Lightrail to the starting line. We showed up at the first corral and were set to go. I was again nervous but excited. Once it was our turn I was ready to get going. 


I tried to be very conscious not to start too fast and maintain a pace that I could hopefully keep up to avoid having to walk from getting too tired. It sounds funny but it seemed to me that this race was easier than the Turkey Trot back in November. I don't know if it is as a result of my continued efforts training that my stamina was better or that there were more refreshment stations, or more distractions. Maybe a combination of them all. In my head I had set a goal to complete the race in 3 hours and 30 minutes and walk for a short distance at the end. I am happy to say I completed the race in 2 hours and 47 minutes and I was able to stay running/jogging the whole time!"


1 comment:

  1. Mom,
    you made ian improve his goal by big time. even though you aren't taking credit for it, you helped him get where he was! that's awesome. you're becoming an awesome trailer. even coach alexander wants to talk with you some time to get us distance kids into shape.
    xoxo,
    abbs

    ReplyDelete

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True