Tuesday, January 12, 2010

To Thine Ownself Be True

Have you ever tried to log what you are eating when you are on a diet?  You know, write down everything that goes into your mouth in a day.

It can be shocking!

That same tactic can be used to journal your fitness.  Keeping a workout log is a simple way to keep track of your progress or non progress toward race goals, dietary goals or just overall fitness goals.

For the past several years, I have logged on to trainingpeaks.com to track my daily swims, bikes and runs.  I log in my miles, heart rate zones, minutes per mile or miles per hour, even outdoor temperature and how I felt that day.

At the beginning of each year,  I also write out an Annual Training Plan that outlines my races for the entire year.  I enter the plan into Training Peaks and then receive a daily email that outline exactly what I should be doing that particular day.

Because Ironman training is built  on training blocks, it's nice to have a definite plan to stick by each day.   It's also helpful to look back over a year's time to see what seemed to work when I was feeling good, and what might have caused me to have, say, a horrible training run.  And if you're honest with yourself,  the log will paint an accurate picture of what got you through a marathon with a personal record, or ... not.

As a certified USAT Coach, I have access to Training Peaks for all my clients.  I can set anyone  up with a FREE account.  Better yet, let me write a training plan for your next big event.

2 comments:

  1. Would this help my cycling? I'm so into keeping things simple and spontaneous that i've never had specific goals other than to finish a race. Maybe I should change my thinking and what I tell myself (as Carla tells me) and get organized.

    ReplyDelete

Que lindo es sonar despierto.
How lovely it is to dream while you are awake.

Dreams That Have Come True